Now that labor day (and warmer weather) has passed, football season has begun (yeah!!), and kids are back in school. Lets prepare for cooler weather.
Things I try to do to prepare myself and my family and my homes for the upcoming cool weather are;
1. Have my heating system serviced
2. Check gutters are clean to help prevent ice damming
3. Check crawl space. Close vents and assure all insulation is in place and good
4. Drain water hoses, sprinkler systems of water to prevent broken lines.
5. Turn off outside water faucets from inside of the home.
6. Bring in any paints or solvents from sheds that I do not want to freeze up
7. Check door and window seals are tight and good to help prevent heat loss.
8. If you have a fireplace, it's a good idea to check if your flue is clean
9. Check your smoke detector batteries
10. AND OF COURSE I must bring in my precious potted Banana plants that will not fare well in So Md cold.
PLEASE let me know if you have any insights or suggestions on preparing for cooler weather as well.